Enjoy 10% OFF on the entire purchase of your favorite products !
Sale starting from August 09th, 2018 12:00 pm PST to August 19th, 2018 11:59 pm PST.
Don't Forget to mention Code: Pitta 10 on Checkout.
We are thankful to AAC President Vaidya Manjiri Nadkarni for contributing Summer wellness suggestions
Summer is the season of Pitta dominance. The blazing sun along with intense outdoor activities results in Pitta aggravation causing increased body heat, fever, burning sensations, irritability, anger and diarrhea.
Ayurveda has prescribed a specific routine for Summer season known as ‘Grishma (Summer)- Ritucharya (Seasonal Routine) to ensure that your body as well as mind stays cool during this season.
Here are a few simple things you can do to beat the summer heat:
• Favor a diet that is sweet (most fruits, milk), bitter (dandelion, turnip greens) and astringent in taste (spinach,most beans), which help balance Pitta dosha.
• To stay hydrated in summer, favor sweet and juicy fruits like melons, sweet berries, peaches, plums, apples etc.
• To stay cool, favour cooling foods like zucchini, cucumbers, asparagus, okra, peas, green beans along with leafy green like spinach, romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce,watercress and herbs like parsley, cilantro, mint.
• Avoid spicy and sharp foods like black peppers, cloves, chili and use more of milder spices like cumin, coriander, fennel.
• Limit meat and poultry intake by incorporating at least 2 meatless days. Mung beans, Tofu serve as good meat replacements.
• Coconut water is rich in electrolytes and also balances Pitta due to its cooling nature.
• Have plenty of coconut oil which is cooling as well as easily digestible
• Organic milk along with shatavari is highly nourishing. You can try my tried and tested recipe ‘Rejuvenative Shatavari Milk’ by clicking here Rejuvinative Shatavari Milk Recipe
• Wearing natural absorbent fabrics like cotton, linen can help you stay cool.
• Stay indoors during afternoon to avoid exposure to sharp sun rays
• You can take afternoon naps if needed as this is the only season Ayurveda allows you to take a short nap
My favourite herbs for summer season:
1. Shatavari- Shatavari helps balance Pitta as well as Vata. It is the perfect herb for hot blazing summer. Shatavari helps strengthen your body, build up immunity and has anti-aging properties and also supports fertility.
2. Amalki- Amalaki or Amla berry is famous as Dhatri or the one that nourishes. Amla berry contains 5 of the Ayurvedic 6 tastes and also is a potent anti-oxidant. It is cooling to the gut and nourishes all body tissues.
3. Kalmegh- Kalmegh or Andrographis is cooling bitter and cleanses and supports Pitta balancing. Kalmegh acts on Liver which is the main site of Pitta in the body.
4. Psyllium Husk- Psyllium husk can help expell excess Pitta through stools and well as bind the stools. This works wonders for Pitta dominant people, who are prone to diarrhoea in summer.
5. Avipattikara churna - This cooling Ayurvedic herbal mix soothes and supports healing of irritated gastrointestinal lining. It also expels excess Pitta from the digestive tract and neutralizes excessive stomach acids.
Best summer outfit: Choose light colored or white, cotton/linen clothes. Accessary to match outfit would be Rudraksha mala or Rudraksha wrist mala. Wearing Rudraksha mala cools you down, helps lower blood pressure and also protects your energy field.
Best summer activities: Avoid overheating your body with strenuous exercises, you can opt for gentle yoga and cooling activities like swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving as well as Aquafit.